Two teenage gunmen are believed to have killed three people at a San Diego mosque Monday before they took their own lives, authorities said.
Subscribe to read this story ad-free
Get unlimited access to ad-free articles and exclusive content.
Investigators are working to determine a motive, but the San Diego police chief described the killings as a possible hate crime.
The chief, Scott Wahl, said the event was “every community’s worst nightmare.”
Follow live coverage here.
Here’s what we know about the shooting.
The victims
Authorities responded to a report of an active shooter at the Islamic Center of San Diego, described on the center’s website as the largest mosque in San Diego County, at 11:43 a.m., Wahl said.
The mosque is in San Diego’s Clairemont neighborhood, roughly 8 miles north of downtown.
Officers arrived at the scene four minutes later and found three adult men dead in front of the mosque, Wahl said.
One of the men was a security guard whom Wahl said was “pivotal” in preventing more bloodshed.
“At this point, I think it’s fair to say his actions were heroic,” Wahl said. “Undoubtedly, he saved lives today.”
The victims were not identified Monday.
As the officers deployed what Wahl described as an active shooter response at the mosque and at an adjacent school, more gunfire was reported blocks away, the chief said.
A landscaper who was working in the area was shot at but not struck, Wahl said.
Where were the suspects found?
Less than a quarter mile from the landscaper, police found a vehicle in the middle of the street with the two teenagers believed to be the shooters inside, the chief said.
Both are believed to have died by self-inflicted gunshot wounds, Wahl said.
Two senior law enforcement officials briefed on the investigation and a federal law enforcement official identified the suspected shooters as Cain Clark, 17, and Caleb Vazquez, 18.
The mother of one of the suspects called police Monday morning and said that her son, her gun and her car were missing, Wahl said.
She described the teen as suicidal and said he was likely with a friend, Wahl said. Both were wearing fatigues, the chief recalled her saying.
Officers were talking with the woman and trying to piece together where her son might be when they learned what was happening at the Islamic center, Wahl said.
They “immediately dispatched themselves to the mosque,” the chief said.
What we know about a possible motive
The mother told police that her son left a note, Wahl said. He declined to provide additional details about the note.
The chief said “hate rhetoric” was involved in the shooting, which he said is being investigated as a hate crime. Investigators are examining possible anti-Islamic writings found in the teens’ car, two senior law enforcement officials said.
An imam with the mosque, Taha Hassane, said the center had never before experienced a tragedy like Monday’s shooting and said it is “outrageous” that someone would target a place of worship.
“People come to the Islamic center to pray, to celebrate, to learn,” he told reporters.
Monday marked the first day of Dhul Hijjah, the last month of the Islamic calendar and one of its most sacred periods.
In a news release, the mosque said it will remain closed until further notice.



