Australia news live: NSW police make 993 arrests in four-day domestic violence sweep | Australia news


Good morning, and happy Monday. Nick Visser here to get the blog started. Here’s what’s on deck:

“,”elementId”:”0a2e4200-2091-498a-8f67-042109586886″},{“_type”:”model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement”,”html”:”

New South Wales police have charged nearly 1,000 people with more than 2,000 charges in total as part of a statewide operation targeting offenders with a history of domestic violence. Officials said the effort was meant to ensure the safety and wellbeing of domestic and family violence victims.

“,”elementId”:”39158140-cbad-4ed0-80ee-c1f0bcabba71″},{“_type”:”model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement”,”html”:”

Meanwhile concert pianist Jayson Gillham’s discrimination case against the Melbourne Symphony Orchestra will begin today. He is suing the orchestra over the termination of his contract, which was ended after he performed a piece in 2024 dedicated to journalists killed in Gaza.

“,”elementId”:”6e2a80ed-0b41-4c6a-9c34-090c65b9af32″},{“_type”:”model.dotcomrendering.pageElements.TextBlockElement”,”html”:”

I’m sure there’s much more to come, stick with us and we’ll bring you all the latest updates.

“,”elementId”:”855ef6e4-3d36-4500-9fb5-ab1da28094f8″}],”attributes”:{“pinned”:false,”keyEvent”:true,”summary”:false},”blockCreatedOn”:1779053168000,”blockCreatedOnDisplay”:”17.26 EDT”,”blockLastUpdated”:1779053161000,”blockLastUpdatedDisplay”:”17.26 EDT”,”blockFirstPublished”:1779053168000,”blockFirstPublishedDisplay”:”17.26 EDT”,”blockFirstPublishedDisplayNoTimezone”:”17.26″,”title”:”Good morning”,”contributors”:[],”primaryDateLine”:”Sun 17 May 2026 17.49 EDT”,”secondaryDateLine”:”First published on Sun 17 May 2026 17.26 EDT”}],”filterKeyEvents”:false,”id”:”key-events-carousel-mobile”,”renderingTarget”:”Web”,”serverTime”:1779054754490}”>

Key events

Minister says Australia will have role to play in response to latest Ebola outbreak

Murray Watt, the federal environment minister, said he expects Australian health officials will be working with other countries as the world responds to the latest outbreak of Ebola in the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Uganda.

The World Health Organization declared the event a “public health emergency of international concern” on Sunday, urging robust, global efforts to limit its spread.

Watt spoke to RN Breakfast this morning, providing a brief update on Australia’s role in that response. He said:

double quotation markI’m sure that our health officials will be working with other countries in terms of the response to this. You know, I think we’ve seen previously around the world outbreaks of Ebola have been of great concern to the world. So as I say, I’m sure that some of our officials in the health department would be working with their international counterparts about this as well.

No one has ever been diagnosed with Ebola virus disease in Australia, according to the Centre for Disease Control. The agency says that just one diagnoses would trigger an urged public health response.

Share



Source link